Eggs have been incorporated in people’s lives for thousands of years. It is also referred to as ‘Nature’s Multivitamin’.
Being highly nutritious and inexpensive it is considered to be the favorite food of many people around the world.
|Lutein and Zeaxanthin
Vitamin A, B2, B5, B12, D, E, K
Eating only egg white to avoid carbohydrates and fats is what most people tend to do but this isn’t a good option.
One should try to eat one whole egg with 1-2 egg whites as researches have shown that 1 egg per day decreases the risk of heart disease.
Research states that “The egg breakfast enhances weight loss, when combined with an energy-deficit diet, but does not induce weight loss in a free-living condition.
The inclusion of eggs in a weight management program may offer a nutritious supplement to enhance weight loss.”
Vander Wal JS, Gupta A, Khosla P, Dhurandhar NV. Egg breakfast enhances weight loss. Int J Obes (Lond). 2008;32(10):1545‐1551. DOI:10.1038/ijo.2008.130
So if you want to lose weight you can definitely give it a try with the help of these little friends but do remember the key point ‘calorie deficit’ that is consuming fewer calories than you are burning on a daily basis.
How many eggs should I eat in a day to lose weight?
It depends upon the following factors:
Low Activity Level = 2-3 eggs/day (1-2 whole egg rest egg white)
Moderate Activity Level = 4 eggs (2 whole 2 egg whites)
High Activity Level = 7-8 eggs (4 whole rest egg whites)
Note- The whole egg content varies from person to person so you need to find out how your body reacts to it when you consume whole eggs.
If you tend to get bloating or pimples then you should decrease the number of whole eggs in your diet.
For Men = More yolk intake results in higher testosterone levels leading to high-intensity workouts with energy push resulting in more muscle mass.
So for men who want to lose weight 5-6 eggs a day can be considered suitable.
Women = 3-4 eggs a day for those who want to lose weight while working out.
If you only want to lose weight by diet control then 1-2 eggs will be sufficient for you.
Calorie Intake and deficit
If you are eating other food items rich in calories then you need to control the portion of your eggs in your meals to create at least a calorie deficit of 500 if you want to lose your weight.
- Always eat cooked eggs since it can cause food poisoning or bacterial contamination.
- Cooked egg is easily digested and absorbed in the body.
- Egg made into a dish is high in calories because of the addition of oil and other ingredients in it whereas boiled egg with only serve you 77 calories.
- Nutrition value of an egg depends on the environment under which Hen is growing and laying eggs.
- DO NOT eat eggs in every meal of the day since you need other nutrients to have a balanced diet. You will skip on the greens and other nutritious food necessary for the maintenance of a healthy body and function efficiently.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day. Health benefits of egg
- Increase good cholesterol levels i.e. HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein) in the body since it consists of omega-3 fatty acids. Lowers serum glycerides
- Contains high-quality proteins with essential amino acids that serve in structural and functional processes in the body. This quality of protein utilizes the bio body to produce lean muscle essential for every human being fat or thin.
- Stronger bones due to the presence of proteins and Vitamin D.
- Vitamin A, B12, and Selenium boost the immune system of the body.
- Vitamins and minerals present in the egg take good care of the brain. Choline helps in improving the nervous system functions like muscle control and memory.
- It produces steroid hormones like testosterone and estrogen and also cortisol (the stress releasing hormone)
- Lutein and zeaxanthin are two powerful antioxidants present in the egg and lowers the risk of cataract and macular degeneration.
- The content of protein and fat in eggs makes you feel full for a longer duration thus help in maintaining weight by avoiding snacking unhealthy food in between your mealtime.
- Iron content helps with the menstruation problems in women.
- Makes your skin supple and healthier with the help of its vitamins and minerals and also helps in improving hair texture.
- The calorie content is responsible for improving energy levels.