Is Ashwagandha safe for men? What are the side effects of Ashwagandha for men? Is Ashwagandha safe to take daily?
These are some of the most common questions that appear in the mind of male who want to reap the benefits of Ashwagandha without worrying about its side effects.
For centuries, Ashwagandha has been appreciated as a powerful herb that demonstrates unmatched efficacy to treat autoimmune diseases, and low testosterone. This adaptogen is also known to induce calmness, alertness, focus, and peacefulness.
Ashwagandha should be used with great case by individuals who are diagnosed with:
- Diabetes or hypoglycaemia
- High or low blood pressure
- Thyroid or autoimmune conditions
- Prostate cancer
- Heart or liver diseases
- Men undergoing surgery should also avoid using Ashwagandha
As with any other medication or herb, Ashwagandha may lead to side effects when abused, overdosed, or of a low-grade quality.
7 Side Effects of Ashwagandha:
- Ashwagandha may aggravate hyperthyroidism: The herb is known to enhance concentrations of the thyroid hormone. Therefore, it is not generally prescribed to men with hyperthyroidism. Men with hyperthyroidism should always consult their doctor before initiating the use of Ashwagandha.
- Ashwagandha can cause gastrointestinal complications: In some cases, Ashwagandha can end up irritating the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, men who are diagnosed with stomach ulcers should avoid making the use of Ashwagandha. It can even cause constipation, upset stomach, or diarrhoea in some cases.
- Ashwagandha use can cause drowsiness: Men who are making the use of sleep-inducing medications for treating insomnia can experience sleepiness or drowsiness while using Ashwagandha. Therefore, it's best for them to avoid medications such as Diazepam, Alprazolam, Zolpidem, or Lorazepam in conjunction with Ashwagandha.
- Ashwagandha can cause fever: In rare cases, the use of Ashwagandha may increase body temperature though such elevated body temperature usually subsides in a few days.
- Ashwagandha use can lead to reduced blood pressure: Although Ashwagandha use is associated with significant relief for individuals suffering with hypertension it may cause reduced blood pressure when taken in conjunction with other medications for treating hypertension.
- Ashwagandha can cause chest pain: In rare cases, the use of Ashwagandha can cause chest pain. Therefore, men with existing chest conditions should seek prior medical consultation.
- Ashwagandha use can significantly increase testosterone: The use of Ashwagandha can significantly enhance testosterone concentrations in the body. This may cause restlessness in older men, especially those suffering from prostate complications such as hormone-sensitive prostate cancer.
Before you buy Ashwagandha, you should consider the following tips and precautions:
- You should only buy Ashwagandha from a reputed seller of legitimate and premium-grade herbal supplements.
- You should carefully read all of the supplement ingredients. If you are not sure about the ingredients, you should have a detailed consultation with a doctor or pharmacist.
- Under no circumstances, you should abuse or overdose Ashwagandha in hopes of quick results.
- You should always store Ashwagandha in a cool and dry place. Ashwagandha should be protected against direct sunlight, heat, or moisture.
We hope that this awareness about Ashwagandha and Ashwagandha side effects would help you stay protected against Ashwagandha side effects.