Creatine for Runners
Long-distance running is a physically demanding sport. This is the primary reason why runners and endurance athletes are always looking for the best sports nutrition supplement to aid recovery, improve performance, and support their training. This is where creatine supplementation steps on.
Is Creatine Good For Runners?
Creatine is one of the most popular and researched ergonomic aids and performance supplements for endurance runners. It is generally used to fuel resistance training workouts and build muscles.
Let us read more about the countless benefits of creatine for runners.
- Creatine provides an energy boost to your muscle cells that, in turn, alleviates fatigue caused by a drop in muscular pH.
- It helps you build strength and muscle mass (especially fast-twitch) that translates to an efficient oxygen usage.
- Creatine supplementation helps you run faster and become stronger in a short period.
- It helps long-distance and endurance runners improve endurance, energy, stamina, and body composition so they can run a mile more than usual without experiencing fatigue or muscle soreness.
- Creatine helps runners push themselves to the limits (lift heavier weights, do a few more bench presses, or run faster) to improve their workout duration, length, and quality.
- Creatine improves muscle recovery and energy regeneration to help runners train longer and harder.
- Creatine supplementation prevents cell damage, muscle cramps, soreness, and injuries to tendons, ligaments, bones, and nerves.
- Creatine supports hydration, improves exercise performance, and enhances energy production in cells.
Should Endurance Runners Take Creatine?
The primary form of energy in cells is a molecule known as adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is the "energy currency" of your body cells that is used to perform a wide range of functions.
However, ATP tends to run out quickly, especially during intense workouts and this is where creatine steps in. Creatine helps in replenishing ATP to give your muscle cells the ability to produce more energy.
The more creatine you have in your body, the more energy your muscle cells can produce, leading to enhanced performance.
Creatine is an excellent choice for endurance runners as it helps them with higher energy levels, strength, enhanced post-workout recovery, increased muscle mass, endurance, and increased muscle size.
These benefits further translate to harder, longer, and productive workouts to ensure faster sprints and some new personal records.
You should take 3-5 grams of creatine every day. To maximize its effects and improve creatine absorption, it is best taken with foods that are rich in protein and carbohydrates.
All in all, creatine is one of the best sports nutrition supplements for power- and strength-based exercise.
It can also improve testosterone levels while also causing a surge in maximum squat and bench press strength. It also helps you conquer your gym sets and reps with ease.
Moreover, creatine enjoys an exceptional safety profile that makes it a great choice for male and female endurance runners.